Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bad Drivers....Everywhere!


I recently was promoted to Detective. After about 12 years on patrol and training new officers I am now riding a desk. There are a lot of changes coming with this promotion. For one, I lost my marked patrol car. You would be surprised how attached I became to my marked car. If you didn’t know a “marked” patrol car is one you picture in your mind when you think “police car”. It has the letters along the side, usually all white with stencils and decals and the red/blue lights on top.
Driving a marked car for so many years had it benefits. You get used to seeing people spot you and putting on their seatbelts, moving out of your way for you to pass and this is one of my favorites....“slamming” on their brakes when you come around the corner.
There was another benefit to having the marked car at my house when I was off duty. No one in the neighborhood would think of messing with my house. Kids would walk on the other side of the street to avoid getting near my yard. Now that the marked car is gone….things are starting to change.
No longer do people move over to get out of my way, no longer do they put on their seatbelts when they spot me and now it seems as though people break traffic laws at an alarming rate. I am genuinely startled at how people drive around without a police car in sight.
Please take care to look out for the unmarked police cars. Pay attention to your driving habits. (Even when there are no police in sight)

No comments: